Flip The Script Course
Posted on March 3, 2021 by Ihtezaz
Flip The Script is a new creative talent development program for trainee script editors launched by social enterprise SharpFutures with the support of Sky Studios and ScreenSkills, curated by Cameron Roach and members of the Sky Drama team.
The course is offering twelve fully paid placements for trainee script editors to hone their skills and become enabled to apply for positions as researchers, script editors, assistant story editors, dramaturgs, going forward. You must be 18+ to apply for this course.
The aim and vision of the program is to inspire and encourage a new generation of scripted professionals, specifically with a focus on individuals in the North West, by offering twelve paid placements for trainee script editors to acquire and hone their skills and editorial voice, enabling them to go forward and apply for positions as researchers, script editors, assistant story editors and dramaturgs in the future. SharpFutures and Sky Drama started collaborating closely whilst shooting the forthcoming Sky1 show Intergalactic.
The 12 week program which commences in May is targeted at individuals living the North West, as we recognise that the broadcast industry needs to provide greater access to careers in the creative sector in this region. It may be that the program is replicated in other regions in the future.
Participants would have the opportunity to be trained in Final Draft, screenwriting software which is the choice of studios and production companies worldwide.
This programme is built in association with partners at Sky Studios, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, Red Productions, Lime Pictures, AbbotVision, BBC Studios, CBBC, SharpFutures and ScreenSkills High End TV Skills Fund.
- The programme will be curated by Sky Studios staff. Each component of the course will be run by an invited industry guest.
- The programme will be run out of The Sharp Project or Space Studios Manchester where possible and if not, then online. We would want the cohort to become a strong networked group amongst themselves, and this will be encouraged through the programme.
- ScreenSkills as an Industry partner will also offer an International Industry recognised value to the course. Also they will supply relevant existing courses such as Coronavirus basic awareness on production training, to all participants
- This will be a twelve week paid attachment, for individuals based in the North West to work with industry experts and have access to shows in production, and enable them to work with writers in the future to generate ideas. This placement should be considered employment rather than just a course.
- The Masterclasses (if not on location or online) will be held within The Sharp Project or Space Studios Manchester. Private rooms will be provided by SharpFutures for masterclasses and tuition. There will also be space supplied for attendees to work on their assignments when needed.
Please note that successful applicants will be required to complete a ScreenSkills profile before starting the programme.
This programme is supported by the ScreenSkills High-end TV Skills Fund with contributions from UK high-end TV productions.
You must be 18+ to apply for this course.